Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dan Paul Roberts and his Candi coated Shell

QUEER TRASH SPOTLIGHTS: DAN PAUL ROBERTS


Dan Paul Roberts takes on a myriad of personas and projects; from soft spoken songbird, to colorful female persona's, comic artist and everything in between. In his own words we get to discover a little bit more about Mr. Roberts and see what he's been up to.

DAN PAUL ROBERTS-
> Hi there. My name is Dan Paul Roberts, and I'm an
> artist. Over the past few years, that vague title is just
> about the only one I can use to blanket all my schizophrenic
> pursuits. On a day-to-day basis, I play a number of
> different roles. I'm a painter.
> I work in acrylic on canvas and do these abstract color
> studies. They're fun. That was how I paid my rent
> for the first few months I moved to New York. We've
> been here a year now.




> When I say 'We', I'm referring to my roommates,
> band mates and best friends: Brett Lord and Teresa Nasty. We
> moved here from Dallas, all together in a big moving van,
> almost exactly twelve months ago. We live in Brooklyn with
> our producer, Jeff
> Cook. It has been quite an adventure.

> So yeah, the band:
>
> I play Candi
> Shell in the glam-pop girl group SHE-DICK.
> Brett plays Carrie
> Cash, and Teresa is, well, Teresa Nasty,
> no fake boobs necessary. SHE-DICK is a
> trio of female private detectives with secret powers that
> were bestowed on them by this woman named Galactica from a
> planet called Z'Amora. I know, it's really
> complicated. That's why you should read our graphic
> novel!

> (Bum Bum Buuuum!) I have just published SHE-DICK's
> full-color backstory graphic novel, GALACTIC
> TRANNY!!!! I wrote it and illustrated it this past
> winter. New York's winter makes it easy to stay inside
> and geek-out on a creative project. This one consumed me
> utterly. I drew it in a very stream-of-consciousness way
> and used a great program called Comic Life to do all the
> formatting. GALACTIC
> TRANNY is available on Lulu.com (and soon Amazon) as
> both a glossy, hold-in-your-hand book and as a $5 digital
> download.



> In other SHE-DICK news, bandmember Teresa Nasty and I just
> filmed a music video for one of our parody songs, Under the
> Knife. Candi finally got her chance in the beauty light
> with the fan blowin'! We did it in our living room
> with a point-and-shoot and some photo lights--and I think it
> looks pretty effin' cool. When we're project
> minded, Teresa and I can really make magick happen!

> I have also sort of secretly released my own album on iTunes.
> It's self titled. When it comes to my personal music,
> I drop my last name and just go by Dan
> Paul. This album is my pop opus. It's like seven
> years worth of songs, 16 tracks, and it's the interior
> of my heart. One of my favorite songs on the album is a Goodbye
> Gemini, a song I wrote after ending a five year
> relationship in Dallas and getting ready to make the big
> move. I just love sad songs. They're what really
> melts my butter! A good ballad soothes a place in me and
> touches me in a way that no other art form can really do.

AND

> One last thing (I know you're like, Will she shut up
> already??), a new friend, Toni Cruthirds produced this short
> documentary about my daily/drag life called The Drag
> Beat.



Find our more about Dan, Candi, She-Dick and more with these links:
http://www.myspace.com/shedickband

http://www.danpaulroberts.com

http://www.myspace.com/danpaul

http://www.myspace.com/misscandishell

No comments: